What are the differences between molecular distillation and fractional distillation
Fractional distillation is a separation method that separates different substances with different boiling points from the mixtures by heating the mixtures. Molecular distillation is a liquid-liquid separation method that separate different molecules with different weights. The differences between molecular distillation and fractional distillation are as follows:
1. Fractional distillation separates substances according to their different boiling points. However, molecular distillation separates substances according to their different weights.
2. Fractional distillation separates every individual substance out of mixture. However, molecular distillation can only separate some substances within the mixture out.
What are the types of distillation
The distillation method is widely used in many fields, for example, chemical labs, industrial factories, food-making field, pharmaceutical field and other fields. In distillation method, there are so many types of distillation. They are as follows:
1. Fractional distillation. When the boiling points of substances within the mixture are really close, we usually use fractional distillation to separate them.
2. Simple distillation. This distillation method can save much energy, however, it has a lower distilling efficiency than other advanced distillation method.
3. Vacuum distillation. We all know, that the boiling point of a liquid falls when the pressure is reduced. So in this distillation method, much heating energy can be saved because of the high pressure.