What is the purpose of a rotary evaporator
A rotary evaporator is driven by a motor, which is to drive the distillation bottle to rotate. Because the evaporation flask is constantly rotating, it can be added without being stopped. At the same time, due to continuous rotation, the liquid is attached to the wall of the evaporation flask to form a liquid film, which increases the evaporation area and accelerates the evaporation rate. Please pay attention when using:
(1) During the working process of a rotary evaporator, when the temperature is high and the vacuum is low, the liquid in the bottle may bump. At this time, the vacuum should be reduced and the brake should be distilled smoothly.
(2) When the evaporation is stopped, firstly stop the heating, then stop the vacuum, and finally cut off the power to stop the rotation.
What is the principle of a rotary evaporator
The evaporation flask is an eggplant-shaped or round-bottomed flask with a standard grinding port. It is connected to a pressure-reducing pump through a highly refluxing serpentine condenser tube. The other opening of the reflux condenser tube is connected to a receiving flask with a grinding port. There is a three-way piston between the condenser tube and the vacuum pump. When the system is connected to the atmosphere, the evaporation flask and the liquid flask can be removed while the solvent is transferred. During the working process of rotary evaporator, the pressure should be reduced firstly, and then the motor should be turned to rotate the distillation flask. In the end, it should be shut down and then vented to the atmosphere to prevent the distillation flask from falling off during rotation.
The simple structure of a rotary evaporator
A rotary evaporator consists of several parts, including rotary motor, evaporation tube, vacuum system, water oil bath, condensing tube, collection flask.
The evaporation flask is an eggplant-shaped or round-bottomed flask with a standard grinding port, which is connected to a pressure-reducing pump through a highly reflux serpentine condenser tube. There is a three-way piston between the condenser tube and the pressure-reducing pump. When the system is connected to the atmosphere, the evaporation flask and the liquid flask can be removed to transfer the solvent.
What does rotary evaporator mean
A rotary evaporator is a device that is widely used to concentrate, separate, and purify materials. It can be used in many fields, including food-making field, pharmaceutical field, industrial field, chemical labs, people’s daily life at kitchen, and some other fields.
What are the advantages of a rotary evaporator
- Every rotary evaporator has a motor, which can drive the rotary evaporator automatically go up and down.
- The liquid sample forms a liquid film on the inner surface of the evaporating flask with a large heating area, in order to accelerate the evaporation of sample materials.
- The power created by rotation of sample materials can suppression the boiling of the sample materials.