Components of Short Path Distillation
- Receiving flask: to collect the liquid-phase target substances, which will be more convenient for users to get target substances;
- Chiller: the cold resource in the short path distillation system, and users can adjust the freezing temperatures according to their requirements;
- Vacuum pump: to create a reduced pressure environment for the whole short path distillation system, and the target substances’ boiling points will be lowered;
- Stainless steel holder: to hold the glassware parts all together which form the short distance;
- Heating mantle: the heat resource in the short path distillation system, and users can adjust the heating temperatures according to their requirements;
- Three-necked flask: the sample materials can get heated and evaporated in this container, which gets heated by the heating mantle.
How to Run a Short Path Distillation?
The short path distillation equipment is mainly used for the effective separation and purification of heat sensitive and unstable compounds. The control system in the short path distillation equipment is mainly used to reduce the boiling points of its sample materials. The special structure of the equipment can very effectively control the thin materials film.
When the liquid mixture flows along the heating plate and gets heated, light and heavy molecules will escape from the liquid surface and enter the gas phase. Due to the different free paths of light and heavy molecules, the molecules of different substances move after they escape from the liquid surface with different distances. If a condensing plate can be set properly, light molecules will reach the condensing plate and then be discharged, while heavy molecules cannot reach the condensing plate and will be discharged along the mixed liquid. In this way, the purpose of material separation is achieved.Users should pay attention to the removal of fungi, solvents and bacteria in the short path distillation system.
How Much Vacuum do I Need for Distillation?
Like rotary evaporator, short path distillation also needs vacuum to create a reduced pressure environment for its whole system. The short path distillation equipment can adjust and control the more suitable temperature and vacuum pressure conditions in the equipment at any time.
During the operation process of short path distillation equipment, the pressure difference between condensation surface and the thin surface of the equipment will be directly formed. The resulting pressure difference is the driving force of the entire steam flow. The slight pressure drop in the equipment will directly cause the steam to appear. In the case of flow, the distance between the condensation surface and the boiling surface during short path distillation operation is relatively short.