Short path distillation is a distillation method working under pressure 1-0.001mbar. It has a very low boiling point, which makes it suitable for heat-sensitive, high boiling point substances. Short path distillation is a complicated device to operate, so knowing how it works is very essential. Then let’s see what the short path distillation principles are:
The material to be distilled is fed from the top of the evaporator, which will be continuously and evenly distributed over the heating surface through a liquid distributor on the rotor. The wiper then scrapes the liquid into a very thin, flowing liquid film that goes down in a spiral state. During this process, the light molecules that escape from the heating surface condense into a liquid on a built-in condenser after a short route. Then it almost has no collision, then flows down the condenser tube, and passes through the bottom of the evaporator. The tube is discharged. The residual liquid, which is the heavy molecules, is collected in a circular passage under the heating zone, and then flows out through the discharge pipe on the side.
short path distillation tips
1. Check if the cooling water inlet and outlet valves are normally open and the pressure is normal.
2. Check that the inlet and outlet valves for the cooling water of each component are open. The equipment is heated by hot oil and the temperature is high.
3. Do not touch it with your hands to avoid burns.
4. Check if the ethanol in the cryostat is sufficient.
5. Note if the liquid nitrogen in the liquid nitrogen tank is sufficient.
6. Check that the cold well is connected to the equipment.