The advantages of rotary evaporator
Rotary evaporators are quite popular in the market, because it has several advantages, which can help people work efficiently. The advantages are as follows:
- All rotary evaporators have a built-in lifting motor, which can automatically raise the flask to a position above the heating pot when the power is turned off.
- Due to the centripetal force and frictional force between the liquid sample and the evaporation bottle, the liquid sample forms a liquid film on the inner surface of the evaporation bottle, and the heated area is large. In this way, rotary evaporator can guarantee a high evaporation efficiency.
- The feeding system of a rotary evaporator is continuous feeding, which improves the working efficiency of the evaporation system.
- It is suitable for reflux operation, rapid evaporation of large amounts of solvent, concentration of trace components and reaction processes that require stirring.
The disadvantage of a rotary evaporator
- Some samples will boil during the heating process, such as heated ethanol and water. Once boiling occurs, the collected sample will be lost. For samples that are particularly difficult to distill, including those that are prone to foaming, a special condenser tube can also be configured for the rotary evaporator.
- In the rotary evaporator equipment, the glassware needs to be cleaned very often, because rotary evaporator needs a totally clean container to guarantee the purity of materials. If there is any impurity in the glassware, the extracted materials will be not pure.
What is the purpose of using a rotary evaporator during an organic synthesis
Organic synthesis refers to the process of making simple, simple inorganic substances or simple organic substances into more complicated organic substances by using chemical methods. At present, most organic substances such as resins, rubber, fibers, dyes, drugs, fuels, spices, etc. can be prepared by organic synthesis. Organic synthesis is the use of simple and readily available raw materials through organic reactions to generate organic compounds with specific structures and functions.
Can rotary evaporator remove water
A rotary evaporator can get materials evaporated, so a rotary evaporator can remove water. When there is water and ethanol in the mixture, how do we evaporate it:
1. Change the temperature to speed up the evaporation rate. If the mixture is more complicated, it is not necessary to spend all the time to evaporate the solution. You can obtain the required substances by increasing the temperature.
2. Vacuum with a vacuum pump to further reduce the pressure to lower the boiling point, even if the temperature is not increased, all solutions can be evaporated.
3. The percentage of internal ethanol needs to be determined first. After several distillations, the composition of the mixture remaining in the flask will be different. You can add more than 5 degrees to the current boiling point of the mixture.